The farmers from Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and many other states are likely to give a memorandum to the President pressing for their demands.
NEW DELHI — As farmers started arriving at the Jantar Mantar in the national capital to stage their ‘mahapanchayat’ on Monday, massive traffic jams were reported at Delhi’s borders as police have put up barricades to avoid any untoward situation.
The call for the mahapanchayat was given by the Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM) to protest against unemployment and to sunmit their memorandum of demands to President of India after the peaceful panchayat.
Amid heightened security to enter Delhi, traffic snarls were reported at the Ghaziabad, Chilla, Singhu, Faridabad and Tikri borders, reports IANS.
Delhi Police have put barricades at all these border points and every vehicle entering the national capital city are being checked.
On Twitter, the Delhi Traffic Police said have asked commuters to avoid the Tolstoy Marg, Sansad Marg, Janpath Road, Ashoka Road, Outer Circle Connaught Place, Baba Kharak Singh Marg and Pandit Pant Marg due to the farmers’ congregation.
The farmers from Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and many other states are likely to reach Jantar Mantar to participae in Mahapanchayat. After mahapanchayat they will give a memorandum to the President pressing for their demands.
The SKM also listed nine demands of the kisan panchayat:
1. Justice to the farmers’ families who lost their loved ones in the Lakhimpur Kheri “massacre” and release of the farmers who are in jail for the last nine months. The arrest of Union minister Ajay Mishra Teni, the “main culprit of the massacre”.
2. MSP should be guaranteed as per the Swaminathan Commission report on “C2+50% formula”, and as promised a law should be made to guarantee MSP.
3. All the farmers of the country should be made debt free.
https://f2b3afa7e9e687dcd0c6da8b2d180367.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html 4. Electricity Amendment Bill 2022 should be cancelled.
5. Support price of sugarcane should be increased and cane arrears should be paid immediately.
6. India should come out of the WTO and cancel all free trade agreements.
7. All the cases registered during the farmers’ movement should be withdrawn.
8. Under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana, the outstanding compensation of the farmers should be released immediately.
9. Agneepath scheme should be withdrawn.
Meanwhile, SKM leaders alleged that at some locations, farmers were being stopped from reaching Jantar Mantar. However, the Delhi Police denied the claim, according to Hinduatan Times.
(With inputs from IANS, HT)