Belagavi Turns Into Virtual Fortress as Kannada Activists Plan to Lay Siege to Suvarna Soudha

Date:

Deserted look at Vidhana Soudha premises during Assembly session in Belagavi on December 13, 2021. — IANS

As many as 3,000 police personnel have been deputed to maintain law and order situation and to stop activists entering into the city as prohibitory orders are clamped.

BALAGAVI — Security across Belagavi has been tightened in the wake of Kannada organisations announcing to lay siege to the Suvarna Vidhana Soudha on Monday despite prohibitory orders.

As many as 3,000 police personnel have been deputed to maintain law and order situation.

Thousands of Kannada activists are arriving here to stage a protest against the state government’s apathy towards protecting the interests of Kannadigas, President of Karnataka Rakshana Vedike Narayana Gowda said. “No matter what, we are going ahead with our plan of laying siege to Suvarna Soudha,” he added.

“The government has not taken any action against the Maharashtra Ekikarana Samithi (MES) members who attacked the police but now, it is initiating action against us for condemning atrocities on Kannadigas,” he alleged.

Praveen Kumar Shetty, President of Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (Shetty faction) criticised the sympathetic act of the government towards MES and miscreants who are acting against Kannadigas. “We will not fear the consequences and go ahead with our plan,” he said.

Belagavi Police Commissioner K. Tyagarajan said that the police will not allow activists into the city as prohibitory orders are clamped.

Meanwhile, the leader of Opposition Siddaramaiah said that he would raise the issue in the state Assembly. “The vandalised statue of freedom fighter Sangolli Rayanna has been restored. Rayanna does not belong to any particular community. He fought against Britishers and sacrificed his life. He belongs to all and only sick minds can indulge in such acts,” he stated.

MES workers are miscreants who do not fear law. They need to be tamed, he said. The series of incidents in the last week have created tension in the city. The Karnataka and Maharashtra governments have written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to ensure safety of their people in their respective states. —  IANS

theclarionindia
theclarionindiahttps://clarionindia.net
Clarion India - News, Views and Insights about Indian Muslims, Dalits, Minorities, Women and Other Marginalised and Dispossessed Communities.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Don’t Take Inflation Lightly, Former Finance Minister Chidambaram Cautions Government

Is inflation such a trivial subject (that) you can...

How Does Kamala Harris View the Middle East?

Every word Vice President says about the Middle East...

MP: Hindutva Groups Create Ruckus at Guna School over English-Speaking Rule

FIR filed against principal even after she offered apologies Team...

The World Court Has Just Cleared the Fog Hiding Western Support for Israel’s Crimes

The legal ruling by the world's highest court obliges...