Residents allege targeting of poor Muslim settlements; railway officials cite Bombay High Court directive
NEW DELHI/MUMBAI — Tension gripped Mumbai’s Bandra area on Thursday after authorities launched a large-scale demolition drive near the Bandra railway station, razing hundreds of slum dwellings and an old mosque.
The operation, carried out by Western Railway with heavy police deployment, triggered clashes as residents gathered to protest the demolitions.
Videos circulating on social media showed bulldozers operating in densely populated areas while police attempted to disperse crowds. Some clips appeared to show personnel using lathis, adding to panic in the locality.
Residents alleged that poor Muslim families and religious structures were being selectively targeted under the guise of an anti-encroachment drive. Authorities, however, denied any bias, stating that the action was part of a court-mandated exercise.
Railway officials said nearly 500 hutments near Bandra station had been identified as illegal encroachments on railway land. A mosque located within the settlement was also demolished during the drive, sparking outrage among locals.
Tensions escalated as large numbers of residents tried to halt the demolition. Witnesses said emotions ran high after news spread about the mosque being brought down.
“We can rebuild homes somehow, but demolishing a place of worship causes deep pain in the community,” said Mohammad Aslam, a local resident.
Police said some protesters attempted to obstruct the operation and allegedly pelted stones at security personnel. Force was then used to disperse the crowd.
Several people were reportedly injured in the lathi-charge, though officials did not provide exact figures. Authorities claimed that around 50–60 people had gathered at the site during the confrontation.
Security was later tightened, with over 1,000 police personnel deployed in and around the area.
Local residents also alleged that police conducted searches in nearby settlements following the clashes. Some claimed officers visited homes, identified suspected protesters and detained individuals for questioning.
“There is fear in the locality. People are worried about arrests and further police action,” said a resident who requested anonymity.
Concerns were also raised over reports that facial recognition technology and intelligence inputs were being used to identify those involved in the protests. Civil rights activists warned that such measures could deepen fear among already vulnerable communities.
Mumbai-based activist Shabnam Hashmi said authorities must exercise sensitivity. “While the state has legal powers to act against encroachments, demolitions involving poor communities and religious structures require extreme caution,” she said.
Railway officials defended the drive, stating it was being carried out under directions of the Bombay High Court. According to Western Railway, the operation aims to clear about 5,300 square metres of land for railway expansion and safety infrastructure.
Officials said the cleared land would be used to expand Bandra Terminus, including additional platforms and maintenance facilities. The demolition drive is expected to continue until 23 May, with about 18 per cent of the targeted area already cleared.
However, housing rights activists argued that such drives often disproportionately impact poor Muslims and migrant communities lacking political influence or rehabilitation support.
Advocate Yusuf Shaikh said, “Urban development cannot come at the cost of abruptly uprooting vulnerable families without rehabilitation and due process, especially when religious structures are involved.”
The incident has also reignited debate over the increasing use of bulldozer actions in several BJP-ruled states, where opposition parties and rights groups have alleged selective targeting of minority neighbourhoods. The government has consistently rejected such claims, asserting that illegal encroachments are removed irrespective of religion.
Legal experts emphasised that demolition drives must adhere strictly to due process and constitutional safeguards.
Professor Nilofer Siddiqui, an urban policy researcher, said authorities must act cautiously. “When demolitions affect economically and socially vulnerable communities, the state must ensure fairness, transparency and sensitivity,” she noted.
For affected families, however, the immediate concern is survival.
“We are poor people. We don’t know where we will go now. Our children are terrified after seeing the police and bulldozers,” said Shabana Sheikh, whose home was damaged.
The demolition has once again highlighted the complex tensions between urban development, housing rights and concerns among minority communities over alleged disproportionate state action.

