DEHRADUN — Uttarakhand Chief Minister, Pushkar Singh Dhami, on Friday took a firm stand against offering Namaz on public roads, asserting that such practices would not be permitted in the state and warning of strict action against anyone attempting to “disrupt traffic or law” and order during the ongoing Char Dham Yatra.
Reacting to remarks by a senior Congress leader advocating permission for ‘namaz’ on roads, the Chief Minister said religious practices should be carried out at designated places such as mosques and Eidgahs, and not in public spaces that cause inconvenience for others.
“I heard a senior Congress leader saying that permission should be given to offer ‘namaz’ on roads. We have clearly said that there are designated places for offering ‘namaz’, and prayers should be held there only. This is the system, and no one has the right to spoil this arrangement,” Dhami said.
The Chief Minister emphasised that the Char Dham Yatra was currently underway and lakhs of pilgrims from across the country were travelling through Uttarakhand to visit the shrines. He said ensuring smooth movement and maintaining law and order during the pilgrimage season was the government’s top priority.
“Char Dham Yatra is going on and people are coming to Devbhoomi through different routes. At such a time, roads will not be allowed to become a medium for religious display or obstruction. We have decided that at any cost, those coming to our state, the Sanatanis, the Chardham pilgrims, should not face any problems,” he said.
CM Dhami added that there is heavy influx of pilgrims which had already posed administrative challenges, and any activity obstructing public movement would not be tolerated. – IANS

