MORE THAN 100 KILLED IN TALIBAN RAID NEAR KABUL

Date:

Nato troops and Afghan security forces arrive at the site of burning NATO supply trucks after an attack by militants in the Torkham area near the Pakistani-Afghan in Nangarhar Province. Reuters/ Parwiz
Nato troops and Afghan security forces arrive at the site of burning NATO supply trucks after an attack by militants in the Torkham area near the Pakistani-Afghan in Nangarhar Province. Reuters/ Parwiz

Reuters

GHAZNI, Afghanistan: Hundreds of Taleban fighters have stormed a strategic district in an Afghan province not far from the capital, killing dozens of people in five days of fighting and the insurgents could capture the area, officials said on Friday.

The Ghazni provincial government has lost contact with police in the province’s western district of Ajrestan, said Asadullah Safi, deputy police chief of the area.

Ghazni, is southwest of the capital, Kabul, and a key link to the south and southeast, where the Taleban have been making advances in recent months.
“If there is no urgent help from the central government, the district will collapse,” Safi said.

The battle for Ajrestan illustrates the grave challenges facing Afghanistan’s new president and the security forces in holding territory as foreign combat troops prepare to leave at the end of the year.

Control of Ajrestan, about 200 km (125 miles) from Kabul, would provide the Taleban with a launching point for attacks into adjacent Uruzgan and Daikundi provinces.

Heavy fighting was going on in Ajrestan on Friday. Safi said a suicide car bomber attacked a police checkpoint early in the day before provincial authorities completely lost contact with the district.

The attack by an estimated 700 Taleban fighters began about five days ago and early reports were that more than 100 people had been killed, including 15 who were beheaded by the militants, said provincial deputy governor Ahmadullah Ahmadi.

Provincial authorities have appealed for help from the central government in Kabul, where President-elect Ashraf Ghani is in the process of taking over from Hamid Karzai.

“We have asked repeatedly for helicopters to evacuate the wounded, but so far nothing has been done,” Ahmadi said.

However, a regional spokesman for the Afghan army, Nazif Sultani, said on Friday reinforcements had been sent to the district the previous day. He said he had no further information.

(Reporting by Mustafa Andalib in Ghazni and Mirwaid Harooni in Kabul)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Why U-turn on Rohingya, Asaduddin Owaisi Asks Govt

Owaisi demanded to know why the Union home ministry...

Allahabad HC Questions Delay in Registering Crime Against Women Cases

PRAYAGRAJ -- The Allahabad High Court has questioned the delays...

CBI Seizes Documents, Devices During Raid at Residence of Delhi’s Deputy-CM Manish Sisodia

CBI teams were also raiding the house of former...

Demolition Drive Triggers Midnight Tension in Andhra Town

The local residents staged a strong protest. They argued...