Biden Makes Calls to Netanyahu, Mahmoud Abbas amid Attacks

Date:

Gaza tower housing AP, Al Jazeera collapses after Israeli missile strike in Gaza City on Saturday. — Reuters

Clarion India

WASHINGATON – US President Joe Biden expressed concerns about the escalating attacks in the Gaza Strip in separate phone calls with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

During his call with Netanyahu, Biden on Saturday “shared his grave concern about the intercommunal violence across Israel”, Xinhua news agency quoted a White House readout of the conversation.

He also raised concerns about “the safety and security of journalists and reinforced the need to ensure their protection”, likely referring to an airstrike carried out by the Israeli military earlier in the day that destroyed a building housing international news organizations in Gaza.

Meanwhile, Biden “reaffirmed his strong support for Israel’s right to defend itself against rocket attacks from Hamas and other terrorist groups in Gaza”, said the readout.

Biden also held his first phone conversation with Abbas since he took office in January, in which he conveyed Washington’s “commitment to strengthening the US-Palestinian partnership”.

The two leaders discussed current tensions in Jerusalem and the West Bank and expressed their shared concern about the loss of civilian life in the ongoing violence, the White House said in a separate readout.

Biden emphasized to Abbas the need for Hamas to halt firing rockets into Israel.

He voiced his support for the two-state solution in speaking with both leaders.

The phone calls came amid escalating airstrikes by the Israeli security forces against Palestinians.

Israeli fighter jets on Saturday bombed and demolished Jala Tower, a high-rise building in Gaza City housing Al-Jazeera TV and Associated Press (AP) offices, as well as residential apartments.

The building “contained military assets belonging to the intelligence offices of Hamas”, claimed an Israeli military spokesperson in a statement.

AP President and CEO Gary Pruitt said ithat “we are shocked and horrified that the Israeli military would target and destroy the building housing AP’s bureau and other news organizations in Gaza”.

“We narrowly avoided a terrible loss of life,” he said.

“A dozen AP journalists and freelancers were inside the building and thankfully we were able to evacuate them in time.”

The ongoing attacks was the worst violence by Israel against the besieged Palestinian enclave since 2014.

Militant groups in Gaza are also firing barrages of rockets targeting cities in northern, central and southern Israel.

Meanwhile, the Health Ministry in Gaza said that since Monday more than 140 Palestinians have been killed, including 40 children and 20 women, and about 1,000 others injured.

The rocket attacks have also reportedly killed at least nine Israelis and wounded 200 others so far. (With inputs from IANS)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Why U-turn on Rohingya, Asaduddin Owaisi Asks Govt

Owaisi demanded to know why the Union home ministry...

Allahabad HC Questions Delay in Registering Crime Against Women Cases

PRAYAGRAJ -- The Allahabad High Court has questioned the delays...

CBI Seizes Documents, Devices During Raid at Residence of Delhi’s Deputy-CM Manish Sisodia

CBI teams were also raiding the house of former...

Demolition Drive Triggers Midnight Tension in Andhra Town

The local residents staged a strong protest. They argued...