After East Jerusalem, Israel to Build 2,500 New Homes in West Bank

Date:

The West Bank Jewish settlement of Ofra. PHOTO: REUTERS
The West Bank Jewish settlement of Ofra. PHOTO: REUTERS

JERUSALEM (Reuters): Israel’s Defence Ministry announced plans on Tuesday to build 2,500 more settlement homes in the West Bank, the second announcement of new construction in the occupied territory since President Donald Trump took office.

A statement from the Defence Ministry said the plans, authorised by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, were intended to fulfil a demand for new housing “to maintain regular daily life”.

Most of the new construction will take place in existing settlement blocs. The statement said 100 of the homes would be built in Beit El, a settlement which according to Israeli media has received funding from the family of Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

It was not immediately clear whether it was the first time that the new construction had been announced. There are several stages involved in the process of approving and building new settlement homes.

theclarionindia
theclarionindiahttps://clarionindia.net
Clarion India - News, Views and Insights about Indian Muslims, Dalits, Minorities, Women and Other Marginalised and Dispossessed Communities.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Israel Restricts Palestinian Access to Al-Aqsa Mosque on First Friday of Ramadan

OCCUPIED PALESTINE -- Israel severely restricted Palestinians’ access...

Palestinian Journalists Recount Torture, Abuse and Starvation in Israeli Prisons

OCCUPIED PALESTINE -- Palestinian journalists held in Israeli jails...

India-US Trade Deal: Rahul Gandhi, Kharge to Lead Farmers’ Protest in Bhopal on 24 Feb

BHOPAL —  Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge and Leader of...

MP: Jabalpur Witnesses Communal Tensions, Over Dozen Persons Detained 

JABALPUR — Jabalpur district of Madhya Pradesh witnessed communal...