Nagpur Violence: Sedition Case Filed Against Alleged Mastermind, 5 Others

Date:

About 140 of the over 300 social media accounts investigated have been found to have objectionable posts and videos

NAGPUR — A sedition case has been registered against Fahim Khan, the alleged mastermind of the March 17 violence in Nagpur. Besides Khan, five other accused have also been booked in the same case.

Khan, an active member of the local Minorities Democratic Party (MDP), has already been arrested and the court has sent him to judicial custody till March 21.

The Nagpur Cyber Crime Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Lohit Matani said a case of sedition has been registered against six persons, including Fahim Khan. Some people supported the violence against the police and praised it. The number may increase further. “Some comments were made while supporting this attack, which further fuelled the riots. A case of sedition has been registered against the people who made such comments,” he said.

The senior official said more than 300 social media accounts have been investigated in connection with the rioting. Out of these, 140 accounts have been found to have objectionable posts and videos. He added that the process of registering a case against all of them is underway.

The DCP said the objectionable content was circulated from an account outside Nagpur. “Support for the riots has been expressed through some posts. This account is being investigated and it is also being looked into if they are from outside the country. Along with this, the social media account of the main accused, Fahim Khan, has also been investigated. Objectionable content was found on his account and the cyber department has registered a case in this regard also,” he added.

He also said that four FIRs have been filed so far in the Nagpur riots case, containing more than 50 allegations. More FIRs will be filed.

Earlier, the office of the Additional Director General of Police, Maharashtra State Cyber Department in a media release issued on Wednesday said more than 140 instances of objectionable content across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube have been identified and reported. In response, notices under Section 79(3)(b) of the Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000 have been issued to facilitate the immediate takedown of such content. Additionally, notices under Section 94 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), 2023 have been issued to uncover the real identities of the individuals operating these accounts.

Strict legal action will be taken against those responsible for spreading such provocative content, he said. — IANS

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Calls Mount for Release of Leqaa Kordia After Hospitalisation in ICE Detention

WASHINGTON --- There have been growing calls to...

Zionist Billionaire Les Wexner Named as Co-Conspirator in Unredacted Epstein Files

US authorities have finally unredacted the name of billionaire...

Bangladesh: Jamaat-e-Islami Chief Congratulates Tarique Rahman after BNP’s Election Victory

DHAKA — Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami Ameer Dr Shafiqur Rahman has...

Mamata Sends Sweets, Flowers to Tarique Rahman on Bangladesh Election Win

KOLKATA — West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has...