Vikas Dubey Nabbed in MP, Or Scripted His Bollywood-Style Arrest?

Date:

Vikas Dubey has been on the run for almost a week, ever since the ambush and killing of eight police personnel in Kanpur.
  • Priyanka Gandhi demands CBI probe into the whole case
  •  Samajwadi Party tells UP govt to make public all call detail records of the Kanpur gangster

LUCKNOW/UJJAIN – Uttar Pradesh’s dreaded gangster Vikas Dubey, who has had a thing for Bollywood, on Thursday surrendered over a thousand kilometres away from what could be his swan song of a criminal life in the Mahakaal temple premises of Madhya Pradesh’s Ujjain as he announced in Sanjay Dutt’s “Khalnayak” style: “Mein hun Vikas Dubey, Kanpurwala”.

Dubey has been on the run for almost a week, ever since the ambush and killing of eight police personnel in Kanpur. As police searched for him in Haryana, Delhi, and kept a close watch on Indo-Nepal border, the Kanpur boy who had launched himself into crime in the 1990s in the image of Sunny Deol’s “Arjun Pandit” and loved the sound of being addressed to as “Pandit” in political and police circles, managed to dodge the bullet as he was nabbed in the safe grounds of the temple complex.

According to sources, Vikas reached the temple around 8 am and then informed the security men about his identity and asked them to inform the police. In a photograph that has gone viral, shows Dubey sitting comfortably on a sofa inside the temple complex.

Uttar Pradesh Police officially confirmed the arrest of Vikas Dubey.

In an expected development, the opposition has started questioning the role of the Uttar Pradesh Police in the Vikas Dubey case and the related encounters of five criminals.

Samajwadi Party President Akhilesh Yadav demanded to know whether Vikas Dubey had surrendered or was arrested. He also asked the state government to make public all call detail records of the gangster.

Everything points to Vikas having travelled all the way from Faridabad to the high security zone of Mahakaal to avoid a death in police encounter. In the secure premises of Mahakaal temple he could avoid extra judicial justice. Two of his alleged gang members were also said to have been arrested.

The Madhya Pradesh police took the gangster away to the Mahakaal police station. The UP Police was expected to seek his transit remand and bring him to Kanpur. The police theory of the arrest, meanwhile, has several loopholes.

Temple officials admit on condition of anonymity, that Vikas Dubey disclosed his name at the counter where he was giving money for donation and then asked them to inform the police. Dubey apparently did not use any disguise to evade the police and neither did he have any arms since weapons are prohibited in the temple complex.

“This is a pre-planned surrender because it seems too simple to be true. Vikas had successfully eluded the police in three states for one week and it is rather unusual that he would enter a temple without a mask and get arrested. He knew that he would be shot dead if he gave himself up to UP police,” said a retired DGP.

Another senior police official admitted that the arrest/ surrender seems extremely well planned. “The gangster wanted to surrender in a ‘safe state’. He did not go to court because of police presence and, therefore, chose the temple. Unless the police decide to make another mistake, Vikas Dubey will not be harmed physically now,” he said.

Dubey had been eluding the police since the past one week and though four dozen teams of Special Task Force and state police were chasing him, they could not nab him.

Five associates of Vikas Dubey have been shot dead in UP after the killing of eight policemen last week. Two of his associates, Prem Prakash Pandey and Atul Dubey were shot dead on Friday, hours after the massacre. Amar Dubey was shot dead yesterday in Hamirpur and Prabhat and Bauan Dubey were shot dead in Kanpur and Etawah respectively today morning. All of them were reportedly involved in the shootout.

Dubey’s arrest is a major setback to the UP Special Task Force that failed to nail the gangster. The STF, which had been claiming till late on Wednesday that Dubey was hiding in Delhi-NCR, was blissfully unaware that he had moved across to Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh. There is a distance of 773 kilometres from Faridabad where Dubey was reportedly seen last on Tuesday and Ujjain where he finally ‘surrendered’..

The STF which has killed five accomplices of Vikas Dubey in the past seven days, has put out a strikingly similar theory for all the encounters – “we tried to stop them, they opened fire and were killed in retaliatory firing”.

Meanwhile, senior Congress leader Jitin Prasada tweeted after the STF detained Khushi, wife of Amar Dubey, who was shot dead in Hamirpur on Wednesday.

Jitin Prasada tweeted, “Khushi probably had no choice being married off to Amar and continues to suffer as a widow and facing police harassment. Get Vikas Dubey alive and expose the links and the rot in the system from top to bottom and justice prevails.” (sic)

He further tweeted that “The news of Prabhat Mishra’s encounter while under arrest is further proof that the govt does not want anyone left alive to tell the real story.”

Khushi’s arrest has not been announced by the STF, but the local people have confirmed that Amar’s relatives and his wife were ‘taken away’ by the police and have not returned yet.

Amar had been married to Khushi on June 29 – just three days before the Bikru village encounter. She was widowed on Wednesday, a week after being married.

CBI probe

Meanwhile, Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Thursday demanded a CBI inquiry into the whole case.

Priyanka Gandhi said in order to reveal the nexus between the criminal and the higher ups, an inquiry by the CBI was necessary.

In her tweets in Hindi Priyanka said, “After the heinous murders in Kanpur, the promptness with which the Uttar government should have acted, proved to be a total failure.”

“Despite the alert, he reached Ujjain which shows the laxity in the security apparatus and also hints at the connivance.

She further tweeted, “The ‘no action’ on a three-month-old letter and the name of Vikas not being in the list of notorious criminals suggests that the connections are far reaching.

“The UP government should conduct a CBI inquiry into the matter and reveal all the facts and the protection-connections.”

— IANS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

‘Heart-Breaking Facts, Perverse Order’: SC Sets aside HC Verdict on Discharge of Rape Accused

NEW DELHI - The Supreme Court, terming the facts of...

Imran Khan Says His Chief of Staff Was Sexually Abused in Police Custody

ISLAMABAD - PTI Chairman Imran Khan on Friday demanded justice...

Congress Defers its Rally against Price Rise to Sept 4 Due to Covid Spike

NEW DELHI - The Congress has deferred its proposed...

PUCL Demands Revocation of Remission amid Outrage over release of Bilkis’ Rapists

The People’s Union for Civil Liberties described the Gujarat...