Kuwait Bans Visa for 5 Muslim-Majority Countries, Including Pakistan

Date:

After US President Donald Trump's executive order banning seven Muslim-majority countries last Friday, the Kuwaiti government has told would-be migrants from the five banned nations to not apply for visas, as it is worried about the possible migration of terrorists.

After US President Donald Trump’s executive order banning seven Muslim-majority countries last Friday, the Kuwaiti government has told would-be migrants from the five banned nations to not apply for visas, as it is worried about the possible migration of terrorists.

KUWAIT CITY (IANS) —   Kuwait has suspended the issuance of visas for nationals of Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.  

After US President Donald Trump’s executive order banning seven Muslim-majority countries last Friday, the Kuwaiti government has told would-be migrants from the five banned nations to not apply for visas, as it is worried about the possible migration of terrorists, Sputnik International reported.  

Under the executive order signed by Trump, refugees from all over the world will be denied US entry for 120 days while all immigration from so-called “countries with terrorism concerns” will be suspended for 90 days. The countries included in the US ban are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

Kuwait was the only nation to prohibit the entry of Syrian nationals prior to Trump’s executive action. Kuwait City previously issued a suspension of visas for all Syrians in 2011.

A group of militants bombed a Shia mosque in 2015, killing 27 Kuwaiti nationals. A 2016 survey conducted by Expat Insider ranked Kuwait one of the worst nations in the world for expatriates, primarily due to its strict cultural laws.

As a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Kuwait has become embroiled in escalated tensions between the GCC and Iran. Washington has been a guarantor of GCC security since the early 1990s, according to a Congressional Research Service brief.

Observers have pointed out that most of the nations on Trump’s list have substantial Muslim populations and are experiencing some form of economic or military conflict.

theclarionindiahttps://clarionindia.net
Clarion India - News, Views and Insights about Indian Muslims, Dalits, Minorities, Women and Other Marginalised and Dispossessed Communities.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Mahua Moitra Moves Calcutta HC Over Bengal Govt’s Restriction on Eid Cattle Slaughter

KOLKATA -- Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Mahua Moitra...

Heatwave Grips N-India, Temperatures Cross 45 Degrees, IMD Issues Red, Orange Alerts

NEW DELHI -- Severe heatwave conditions continued to intensify...

Hijab-saffron Shawl Row May Escalate in Karnataka as VHP Wades into Controversy

BENGALURU -- The hijab versus saffron shawl controversy is...

Trump Adviser Loomer Peddles Falsehoods About San Diego Mosque Shooting Victims

Chris Walker  FOLLOWING the deadly shooting at an Islamic center...