High Court Stays Further Demolition of Historic Noori Masjid in UP’s Fatehpur

Date:

The court orders a status quo until November 17, following concerns raised by the mosque committee over potential complete demolition

PRAYAGRAJ – The historic Noori Jama Masjid in Fatehpur has received a crucial reprieve as the Allahabad High Court on Thursday stayed its demolition, offering temporary protection to the 180-year-old mosque following intervention by a division bench of Justice Atul Shridharan and Justice Arun Kumar.

The Public Works Department (PWD) had issued a notice to the mosque management on 24 September 2024, asking for the removal of an alleged encroachment in the name of road widening. The notice followed a government order issued last year to demolish the mosque. A portion of the mosque’s rear section was demolished on 10 December 2024, despite the mosque committee requesting more time.

“The administration took away a part of our mosque without hearing us fully,” said the mosque committee spokesperson. “We feared that the remaining portions would also be demolished, which is why we approached the High Court. Today’s order gives us hope that our mosque will be protected.”

The Allahabad High Court clarified that no further demolition would take place until the next hearing, scheduled for 17 November. The division bench directed the state government to provide complete information regarding the notice, road widening plans, and actions taken against the mosque. The government lawyer assured the court, stating, “No action will be taken against the mosque until the next hearing.”

This case comes amid broader concerns about the Uttar Pradesh government targeting minority religious sites. Critics have pointed out that several historic mosques and madrasas have recently come under scrutiny, raising fears of systematic demolition under development projects.

“The Noori Masjid is not just a place of worship; it is part of our history and community heritage,” said local resident and historian Abdul Rahman. “Its demolition would have been a loss to the entire community. The high court’s order is a relief not only for Muslims in Fatehpur but for all who value heritage.”

The mosque committee’s petition highlighted that partial demolition had already taken place, making the remaining portions vulnerable. The court’s immediate stay ensures the protection of the mosque until all facts and evidence are reviewed in the next hearing.

The court has asked all parties to maintain the status quo, preventing any unilateral action by the administration. “We are grateful to the court for recognising our concerns and stepping in to protect our mosque,” said the mosque committee representative.

The next hearing will examine all aspects of the case, including the road widening project, the PWD notice, and the mosque’s legal status. Until then, Noori Jama Masjid remains under judicial protection, offering temporary relief to the local Muslim community and ensuring that this historic place of worship is preserved.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Tension in Agra as Graves Allegedly Removed, Wall Built to Grab Shahi Kabristan Land

AGRA — Tension gripped parts of Agra after allegations...

Opposition Leaders Hail US Supreme Court Ruling on Trump Tariffs

NEW DELHI — Opposition leaders in India on Saturday...

Hate-based Thinking Has Taken Root in Society, But All Is Not Lost Yet!

THE situation in the country is rapidly changing; hardly...