We have strong reasons to believe that this is a decision influenced by vendetta politics aimed to suppress independent voices. RDA is determined to protect the rights of doctors, says Resident Doctors Association
NEW DELHI – Resident doctors of JN Medical College at Aligarh Muslim University have demanded from the university to restore the services of two doctors who were sacked on Tuesday. The doctors were connected to the case involving a 19-year-old Dalit woman who was gang raped in Hathras, Uttar Pradesh last month.
“We have strong reasons to believe that this is a decision influenced by vendetta politics aimed to suppress independent voices. RDA is determined to protect the rights of doctors,” says a letter sent by the Resident Doctors Association to the vice chancellor of AMU on Wednesday.
One of the sacked doctors, Azeem Malik, had earlier this month told The Indian Express that the FSL report in the Hathras woman’s case “holds no value”. “The samples for FSL were collected 11 days after the woman was raped, while the government guidelines strictly say forensic evidence can only be found up to 96 hours after the incident. This report can’t confirm rape in this incident.”
On Tuesday, he was told “not to perform any further duties”.
Another doctor, Obaid Haque, was also issued a similar letter by the university hospital. Dr Haque had attested the woman’s medico-legal case report.
Dr Malik’s statement had contradicted Uttar Pradesh ADG (Law and Order) Prashant Kumar who, citing the FSL report, had earlier told a press conference in Lucknow that the Dalit woman was not raped.
The letters issued to Dr Malik and Dr Haque is signed by the CMO in-charge Dr SAH Zaidi. The letters read: “This is to inform you that as directed by the Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Tariq Mansoor via telephone on 20.10.2020 at 11:14 am, your appointment on the post of Medical Officer, Emergency & Trauma, JNMCH, is rejected with immediate effect. Therefore, you are requested not to perform any further duties.”
The AMU administration has denied that the sacking is related to Hathras incident. “The administration has not suspended any doctor related to Hathras incident. Two months back, there were vacancies because existing CMOs took leave. Few of them were infected with Covid. There was an emergency and the two doctors — Dr Malik and Dr Haque — were only appointed to fill the ‘leave vacancies’. Now that the CMOs are back, there are no leave vacancies, hence their services are not required,” The Indian Express quoted the administration as saying.
But the resident doctors are not convinced. According to reports, if the two doctors are not reinstated, the resident doctors may go on strike.