Govt Withdraws Order Mandating Pre-installation of Sanchar Saathi App amid Backlash

Date:

NEW DELHI — After widespread backlash and privacy concerns over the Centre’s move mandating the pre-installation of state-owned Sanchar Saathi app on all mobile phones, the Ministry of Communications on Wednesday rolled back the order. 

The government cited the application’s sudden and “increasing acceptance” for the removal of the order.  

“So far, 1.4 crore users have downloaded Sanchar Saathi, helping report nearly 2,000 fraud incidents every day,” the ministry said.

“In the last 24 hours alone, six lakh citizens registered to download the app, marking a tenfold jump in its uptake,” it added.

The government said the mandate was originally intended to ensure that less-aware citizens also had access to cybersecurity tools.

But with the recent spike in voluntary adoption, the rule has now been rolled back.

“Given Sanchar Saathi’s increasing acceptance, the Government has decided not to make the pre-installation mandatory for mobile manufacturers,” the Centre said.

The ministry emphasised that the app is secure, carries no surveillance feature and serves only one purpose — protecting users from fraudsters and helping them report cyber wrongdoing.

It added that people are free to delete the app whenever they want, and that it supports “jan bhagidari” by enabling citizens to participate in fighting cybercrime.

The announcement came hours after Communications Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia strongly refuted snooping allegations in Parliament.

Addressing the Lok Sabha during Question Hour, he said the app cannot monitor users and remains inactive unless someone chooses to register.

“Snooping is neither possible nor will it happen with the Sanchar Saathi safety app,” Scindia said, adding in Hindi, “Sanchar Saathi app se na snooping sambhav hai, na snooping hoga.”

He underlined that the app is meant only to help people protect themselves from digital threats such as fake mobile connections, fraud calls and lost or stolen phones. –IANS

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Deletion of Muslim Voters Under SIR Process in Chhattisgarh Triggers Storm

Minority groups in Gariaband and other districts unite after...

Elderly Muslim Tea Seller in Hathras Humiliated Over ‘Kundan’ Shop Name

Video shows Hindu group accosting Shamsher Khan over tea...

Palestinian Child Killed in Israeli Attack in Northern Gaza

GAZA CITY --- A Palestinian child was killed in...

Bengal SIR: Trinamool Govt Files FIR Against 2 EROs & AEROs, Sends Compliance Report to ECI

KOLKATA —  The West Bengal government has completed the...