Friday Prayer Ban in UP Village Triggers Legal Row as Muslims Move High Court

Date:

Congregational prayers stopped amid heavy police deployment after an earlier dispute over namaz in a private house in Bareilly’s Maharajganj 

NEW DELHI — A ban on Friday prayers in Maharajganj village of Bareilly district, Uttar Pradesh, during the holy month of Ramadan has led to sharp tension and a legal challenge in the Allahabad High Court.

Members of the Muslim community said they were not allowed to offer Jummah (congregational Friday noon prayers) on February 20. Instead, they were asked to offer individual Dhuhr prayers at home. Heavy police and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) personnel were deployed in the village.

The decision has been challenged before the Allahabad High Court, which has now issued a contempt notice to the Bareilly District Magistrate and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Anurag Arya, seeking their response.

Eesidents said that when they gathered for Friday prayers, they were informed that permission had not been granted.

A resident of Maharajganj said, “Ramadan has just started. Friday prayers are very important for us. We were ready to pray peacefully, but we were told it would not be allowed.”

Another local Muslim said, “There was a strong police presence. We were asked to return home and offer Dhuhr instead of Jummah. It was painful.”

Officials deployed a significant police force in the area, citing concerns over law and order.

So far, district authorities have not issued a detailed public statement explaining the reasons for denying permission for prayers.

The current tension follows an earlier incident on January 6, when a dispute broke out in Maharajganj over Friday prayers.

According to reports, some Muslim residents had offered Jummah prayers in what they described as an abandoned private house. Members of the local Hindu community objected, recorded videos of the prayers and filed a police complaint.

The complainants alleged that a mosque was being constructed illegally at the site and that Friday prayers were being held there without permission.

In response, police detained 12 people.

Members of the Muslim community denied the allegation of illegal construction. They said that the building was a private house and that no mosque was being built.

One community member said, “It was not a mosque under construction. It is a private house. We only offered prayers there because we do not have a proper mosque in the village.”

The January incident led to heightened tension between the two communities and increased monitoring by the administration.

Following the ban, members of the Muslim community approached the Allahabad High Court, arguing that they were being denied the right to offer Friday prayers.

A lawyer associated with the petitioners said, “The right to offer prayers is a fundamental right under the Constitution, subject to reasonable restrictions. The administration must justify its action.”

The court has asked the district authorities to respond to the allegations and explain the circumstances under which Friday prayers were not permitted.

Local Muslims say that offering Jummah prayers during Ramadan holds special importance.

A resident said, “We have been living here for years. We want peace. But stopping Friday prayers without clear reasons creates fear and hurt.”

Some community members also questioned why additional police forces were deployed.

“If there was a concern, the administration could have spoken to both sides. Instead, prayers were stopped completely,” said another villager.

Officials have maintained that any action taken was in the interest of maintaining law and order.

A police source said, “The area has been sensitive since the January incident. The deployment was preventive.”

However, no detailed explanation has yet been made public regarding the legal grounds for denying permission for Friday prayers.

The incident has sparked a wider debate about the balance between maintaining public order and protecting religious freedom.

Legal experts say that while the administration has the authority to regulate gatherings in sensitive situations, such decisions must be proportionate and based on clear reasons.

A senior advocate in Uttar Pradesh said, “If there is an ongoing dispute over a property, the administration can impose temporary restrictions. But a complete ban on prayers, especially during Ramadan, is a serious matter and must stand legal scrutiny.”

For now, the focus shifts to the Allahabad High Court, which will examine the submissions of both sides.

As Ramadan continues, residents of Maharajganj hope for a peaceful resolution.

“We only want to pray in peace,” a local Muslim elder said. “We trust the court will hear our voice.”

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Transporting Cattle Within a State is No Crime; HC Overturns Ballia DM’s Order

The court says the Cow Slaughter Prevention Act targets...

Ramadan Charity in Meerut Sparks Row; Police Let Go 21 Men after Verification

Muslim fundraisers accused of seeking donations for the Babri...

Security Tightened After Clashes in Jabalpur, Bagalkot and Hyderabad

Police deploy forces, 49 arrested in Madhya Pradesh and...

Access to Middle East Eye Journalist Azad Essa’s X Account Blocked in India

The affected journalist says the move is linked to...