Civilians in Gaza Have Nowhere Safe to Go, Says Amnesty International

Date:

The agency has verified recent attacks on evacuation convoy and ambulance personnel in Gaza resulting in 70 fatalities.

Mahmoud Barakat

ISTANBUL — There are no areas of the Gaza Strip that could guarantee the safety of Palestinian civilians from Israeli airstrikes, Amnesty International said in a statement late Sunday.

The non-governmental organisation said on the social media platform X (formerly Twitter) that targeting civilians on the evacuation “safe” route “is yet another brutal illustration that civilians in Gaza have nowhere safe to go.”

“Amnesty has verified six videos of an attack on 13 October 2023 resulting in civilian casualties along Salah-Al Deen Street, a route the Israeli army had designated as safe for civilians to flee after an Israeli ‘order’ told them to leave northern Gaza,” it said.

“At least 70 died,” Amnesty said, adding the convoy which left the northern Gaza Strip for its southern area following the Israeli army’s call included women, children and people with disabilities.

A first attack targeted the convoy, which included “a truck carrying around 30 people, 8 cars & other nearby people.”

In addition, “ambulances that arrived at the scene were hit in a second attack & rescuers injured,” it said.

Asserting that Israel’s evacuation call does not comply with international humanitarian law, Amnesty said the evacuation journey is “virtually impossible,” citing a lack of transport and the health conditions of the civilians.

Israel’s response to Hamas attacks on its cities has extended to cutting water and electricity supplies to Gaza, further worsening living conditions in an area that has endured a crippling siege since 2007, as well as ordering more than one million civilians in the northern strip to evacuate to the southern region.

The number of Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza has risen to 2,670, the local health ministry said Sunday.

In a statement, the ministry said that 750 children were among the dead. The number of wounded has risen to 9,600, it said.

Meanwhile, Israel’s general death toll so far stands at 1,300, while the number of confirmed injured Israelis exceeds 3,400. — Anadolu Agency

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Rajasthan Minister Hints at Population Law Depriving Large Families of Govt Benefits

Team Clarion JAIPUR – Rajasthan Cabinet Minister Jhabar Singh Kharra...

The Tumultuous Nepali Politics

Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli’s hardline stance during the...

Asaduddin Owaisi Says Kolhapur Violence a Terrorist Attack

Keeping the upcoming Maharashtra assembly elections which are due...