ASSAM NRC: INCLUSION OF 2.89 CR NAMES OUT OF 3.29 CR APPLICANTS LEADS TO DISRUPTIONS IN RAJYA SABHA

0
Bimala Begum is among nearly three million married women in India’s northeastern state of Assam who have been asked to prove their citizenship.

Satyen Garg, Joint Secretary, Northeast, in the Union Home Ministry, reiterated that none of the persons, whose name did not figure in the NRC, will be taken to the detention camps or Foreigners’ Tribunals. Sufficient opportunity will be given to those persons to include their names in the final NRC, he assured.

NEW DELHI (IANS): The first complete draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), comprising names of 2,89,83,677 people of Assam, was published on Monday.

Releasing the document online at the state NRC headquarters here, Registrar General of India, Sailesh said that a total of 3,29,91,384 people had applied for inclusion of their names in the document, but 40,07,707 had been left out due to some discrepancies in their documents.

“This is a draft NRC and not the final NRC. All genuine Indian citizens whose names did not figure in the NRC will get ample opportunities to enter their names in the final NRC,” Sailesh said, terming the day “historic”.

“It’s a historic day for Assam and India as a whole. Today we have achieved a milestone of publishing the first complete draft NRC.

“The scale, size and complexity of the whole exercise are unparalleled. The process has been transparent, clear and meticulously executed with involvement of over 52,000 government officials over a period of three years,” he said.

Assam State Coordinator for NRC, Pratik Hajela said that all those whose name did not figure in the document need not worry as there is a laid down procedures for claims and objections, which will start from August 30.

“Whoever, wishes to file a claim for inclusion of their names in the NRC can approach the NRC Seva Kendras and file claim from August 30.

“We will start distribution of claims and objection and correction forms from August 7. The process of filing of the claims, objection and corrections will continue til September 28,” Hajela said.

There would also be assistance for those who need assistance in filing the claims and objections, he added.

Hajela said that the 40,07,707 people whose name did not figure in the NRC will be intimated through separate letters about the discrepancies and there will be opportunities for them to correct the same.

“Details of these 40,07,707 (people) will not be disclosed as we have to respect their privacy.

“Out of them, there are 2.48 lakh people whose cases are pending before different Foreigners’ Tribunals,” he said adding that the status quo of these people — whose name did not figure in the NRC — will remain as “applicant” and not as “Indian” or “non-Indian”.

Satyen Garg, Joint Secretary, Northeast, in the Union Home Ministry, reiterated that none of the persons, whose name did not figure in the NRC, will be taken to the detention camps or Foreigners’ Tribunals.

Sufficient opportunity will be given to those persons to include their names in the final NRC, he assured.

The Assam government has intensified security arrangements across the state following apprehensions that there might be trouble after publication of the NRC.

The Central government had already sent over 200 companies of security forces to assist the state police in handling the situation.

The Assam government had started the process of updating the NRC on December 2013. On December 31, 2017, the Assam government had released the first draft of the NRC which included the names of 1.90 crore people.

Rajya Sabha adjourned following disruptions over NRC

The Rajya Sabha on Monday saw repeated disruptions over the Assam NRC issue and was adjourned for the day amid a ruckus in the post lunch sitting.

Soon after the House met in the post lunch sitting, the opposition members again raised the issue of NRC. Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu adjourned the House for 10 minutes to meet at 2.11 p.m.

But, as soon as the House was reconvened, the opposition MPs were again on their feet. Naidu then adjourned the House for the day amid noise.

The Upper House earlier saw two adjournments in the morning over the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) issue whose final draft was released on Monday and which excludes more than 40 lakh persons.

It’s complete draft, not final list, don’t politicize: Rajnath Singh

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday said the first complete draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) that was published on the day, is not the final list, and urged the opposition not to politicise it.

“Whatever work is going on in the NRC, is happening under the supervision of the Supreme Court. To say that the government has done it, and it is inhuman and brutal…such allegations are baseless.

“It is not the right thing to say,” Rajnath Singh told the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour.

The first draft comprising the names of 2,89,83,677 people of Assam was published online by the Registrar General of India.

The Minister said: “There is no question of any coercive action against anyone. The NRC process is being carried out with complete fairness and transparency.”

Urging not to create panic, Singh also said that if anyone was not satisfied with the first draft of the NRC, that person would get an opportunity to file claims and objections as per provisions in the law and later also approach the Foreigner’s Tribunal.

“Some people are unnecessarily trying to create an atmosphere of fear. I want to assure all that there is no need for any apprehension or fear. Some misinformation is also being spread.

“The NRC process has been done impartially. Some people may not have been able to submit necessary documents. They will get full opportunity through Claims and Objections process.

“Definitely, they will get justice. There is no need to create panic unnecessarily,” Rajnath Singh said.

The senior BJP leader said: “Today NRC draft list has been published in Assam. I want to emphatically say that this is only a draft and not the final NRC.

“I want to clarify that even after the final NRC, every person will get an opportunity to approach the Foreigners Tribunal.”

Around 40 lakh people have been left out of the list. The first list of the NRC process was released in December 31 last year, in which around 1.9 crore people out of the total applications of 3.29 crore people were included.

“People whose names do not figure, they will get the opportunity for claims and objections after August 28.

“They can file it for two-three months based on the deadline which will be fixed. After that its disposal will begin. The Supreme Court will take a decision on it. We cannot do anything about it,” said Rajnath Singh.

“The disposal of claims and objections will take place at the higher administrative level,” he added.

Appealing to the House, the Minister said: “This is a very sensitive issue. Everyone should lend their support. I want to make it clear…you can express your anger…but let me tell you that government is not doing anything…everything is being done under the supervision of Supreme Court.”

“If you are saying so…, then I want to urge the House that the opposition should decide what is government’s role.

Don’t level baseless allegations. Such sensitive issues should not be unnecessarily politicised,” he added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here