The court stays demolition notices issued by the Uttar Pradesh Irrigation Department on properties in Jamia Nagar’s Muradi Road and Khijar Baba Colony
NEW DELHI – The Delhi High Court has issued a crucial stay order on the demolition drive initiated by the Uttar Pradesh Irrigation Department targeting several homes and shops in Jamia Nagar’s Muradi Road and Khijar Baba Colony in Okhla. The Friday ruling comes as a relief to 115 families who had been living in fear after receiving sudden demolition notices days before the holy festival of Eid-ul-Azha.
The demolition notices, served on May 22, caused widespread panic among residents who have called Jamia Nagar their home for years. Walls of affected properties were marked with red crosses, accompanied by notices accusing the occupants of illegal construction on land belonging to the Uttar Pradesh government’s irrigation department.
Advocate Dr Farrukh Khan, representing the petitioners, appeared before the Delhi High Court, urging immediate relief for the families. The court responded by ordering a complete halt to any demolition activities until the next hearing scheduled for August. The bench emphasised that the department must refrain from any coercive action in the meantime.
Speaking about the order, one resident said, “We are grateful to the court for recognising our situation. We have lived here peacefully for decades, and such sudden threats without proper communication only cause distress to our families, especially before Eid.”
The Uttar Pradesh Irrigation Department’s notice cited a Supreme Court directive of May 8, which instructed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to clear illegal constructions on over four bighas of government land in Okhla village within three months. However, residents argue that due process was not followed, with notices issued abruptly and without adequate time or consultation.
“The Supreme Court order required at least 15 days’ notice before action,” Dr Khan explained. “Our clients were given no such opportunity, and how the notices were served was harsh and unfair.”
Local community leaders expressed relief over the stay but remain wary of the situation. “We welcome this reprieve, but the uncertainty continues to haunt us. We hope the authorities will consider the humanity of the residents in their final decisions,” said a community spokesperson.
This case highlights the ongoing struggle of the Muslim community in Delhi’s Jamia Nagar, who often face heavy-handed government actions threatening their homes and livelihoods. The Delhi High Court’s intervention reflects the judiciary’s recognition of their rights and the need for fair treatment under the law.
As the next hearing approaches, families remain hopeful that their voices will be heard and justice will prevail against unjust eviction attempts. This stay order represents not just a legal victory but also a moment of dignity for a community under threat.