Delhi Riots: At Long Last, Court Orders FIR in a Case of Acid Attack

Date:

The Karkardooma Court has directed the Karawal Nagar police station to file an FIR in the case related to Mohammed Wakil, who lost eyesight in the acid attack during 2020 Delhi riots

Team Clarion

NEW DELHI – The Karkardooma Court has directed the Karawal Nagar police station to file an FIR in the case related to Mohammed Wakil, who lost eyesight in the acid attack during 2020 Delhi riots. The police had earlier clubbed his complaints with another complaint in which their issue, the family said, were not mentioned.

“We are not literate enough to know these things but when I read the FIR copy, I saw that none of its contents matched the complaint that I had lodged, which was way more serious. I didn’t even know who Furkan was… I pleaded with the police to give me a separate FIR but they said there were no issues with the present one,” Mumtaz Begum, Wakil’s wife, was quoted by The Hindu as saying.

However, in September last year, Wakil moved the court seeking registration of a separate FIR in his case. On Saturday, Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind (JUH) said that it had helped Wakil file the case in the court.

“Earlier, because of the delay in justice and due to his health, Muhammad Wakil was very disappointed and he had lost interest in pursuing the case. But after the intervention of Jamiat General Secretary Maulana Hakeemuddin Qasmi and Maulana Ghayur Qasmi, he again acceded to follow the case. The legal in-charge of Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind Niaz Ahmed Farooqui Advocate said that lengthy proceedings of the courts had disappointed him, but now he agreed to fight for justice,” said the Jamiat in a statement.

About the court, the Jamiat informed that while taking exception to the police, the court has ordered an immediate FIR, and also expressed displeasure at the length of the trial.

Wakil, a resident of Shiv Vihar, runs a ration store. He and his family were attacked with acid by the rioters, in which he lost both of his eyes, the rioters ransacked his houses and looted all belongings. After the attack, he underwent four surgeries.

Talking about the incident, Wakil said, “I can never forget that dreadful day… It ruined my life. Now all I do is apply eye drops six times a day and stay put in a corner… I always need assistance moving around”.

Jamiat said he is getting treatment from Chennai with its help and it also built his house for them and helped them in the establishment of some grocery stalls.

“We have been living here for over two decades and always had cordial relations with our neighbours… What made them not think twice before attacking us? How did they develop so much hate for us?” said Begum.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Muslim Youth Opens His Home for Hindu Families After Devastating Agartala Blaze

A young man, Aftab Ali, and the Sheikh Foundation...

SC Stays Madras High Court Order, Directs Revival of Tamil Nadu Waqf Board

Chief Justice of India Surya Kant seeks clarity on...

Youth Congress Members Stage Shirtless Protest at AI Summit, Detained

NEW DELHI — Members of the Indian Youth Congress...

No US War on Iran: An Open Letter to the UN Security Council

The current threat of an attack by the US...