UN: Israeli Settler Violence Displaces 4,700 Native Palestinians in West Bank

Date:

OCCUPIED WEST BANK — The United Nations said Friday that escalating Israeli settler attacks in the occupied West Bank have forced nearly 880 native Palestinian families from their homes, affecting more than 4,700 people.

Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General, warned that humanitarian teams continue to document growing violence and coercive practices by Israeli forces and settlers across the area.

“Our humanitarian colleagues warn that continued violence and other coercive practices by Israeli forces and settler communities have resulted in casualties, destruction of property, and forced displacement,” Dujarric said.

Dujarric reported that between February 3 and 16, Israeli forces killed three native Palestinians. The deaths bring the total number of Palestinians killed in the West Bank this year to nine, including two children.

During the same period, humanitarian monitors recorded at least 86 Israeli settler attacks. The assaults injured more than 60 Palestinians and displaced about 146 people across 60 villages.

The UN also highlighted the killing of 19-year-old dual Palestinian-American citizen Nasrallah Abu Siam in the village of Mukhmas. According to the UN, Israeli settlers shot and beat Abu Siam during the attack. He later died from his wounds.

The Secretary-General condemned the killing and extended condolences to the victim’s family, including journalist Abdelhamid Siam.

Dujarric said settlers also shot and wounded three other Palestinians in the same incident.

The UN chief called for a prompt, thorough, and transparent investigation into the attack and demanded accountability for those responsible. He also urged the Israeli government to take concrete steps to halt and prevent all settler violence against native Palestinians, stressing Israel’s obligations as the occupying power.

Separately, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warned that displaced families in Gaza continue to live in overcrowded shelters that pose serious fire and health risks.

Families cook, sleep, and store their belongings in very small spaces, often using open flames to prepare food. Since November last year, humanitarian partners have recorded at least 12 fires in these shelters.

In the ten days leading up to February 17, aid groups provided emergency shelter to 85 families in Deir al-Balah and Khan Younis after fires damaged their shelters in Gaza City.

Humanitarian teams continue to raise fire-safety awareness, but officials stress that displaced families urgently need more durable housing solutions that offer protection and privacy.

The UN said humanitarian movements in many parts of Gaza still require coordination with Israeli authorities. Between February 12 and 19, aid groups coordinated 67 planned movements.

Israeli authorities approved 43 missions and denied nine outright. Eight missions received approval but faced obstacles, while organizers cancelled seven others due to security or operational concerns.

Turning to Lebanon, Dujarric said Israeli forces continue to obstruct and intimidate UN peacekeepers.

In a serious incident, Israeli soldiers approached a UN peacekeeper performing duties near Naqoura. The soldiers reportedly pointed their weapons at the peacekeeper from about 10 meters away and ordered him to move.

The UN renewed its call for an immediate end to any intimidation or interference targeting its peacekeeping forces.

Humanitarian officials warn that without stronger protections for civilians and aid operations, conditions across Gaza, the West Bank, and southern Lebanon could deteriorate further in the coming weeks. — QNN

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

UP Court Orders FIR Against Swami Avimukteshwaranand Over Alleged Child Sexual Assault

PRAGYARAJ -- A Special POCSO Court in Uttar Pradesh's...

The Final Solution in Palestine is Not in Trump’s Hands

Trump’s Board of Peace 11-page charter, comprising eight...

‘Nothing Changes, India will Pay Tariffs, US Won’t’: Trump After Supreme Court Ruling

WASHINGTON --- US President Donald Trump has asserted that...

World Reacts As US Top Court Limits Trump’s Tariff Powers

Some countries welcome the ruling, while others review trade...