The chief minister claims RSS-linked groups are promoting a misleading narrative, says the film seeks to portray peaceful Kerala as an extremism hub
NEW DELHI — Political tensions have risen in Kerala ahead of the possible release of the controversial film The Kerala Story 2, with Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan strongly criticising the project and accusing its makers of attempting to damage the state’s image.
In a statement issued by the Chief Minister’s Office on Thursday, Vijayan alleged that the first part of the film was created “with the intention of spreading hatred against Kerala and weakening its secular traditions.” He expressed concern that the sequel may continue what he described as a “false and dangerous narrative”.
The teaser of The Kerala Story 2: Goes Beyond, directed by Kamakshya Narayan Singh, was released on 30 January. The makers claim the film is inspired by real events. According to promotional material, the film portrays a section of Muslim men as targeting women for conversion, allegedly as part of a larger mission to alter India’s demography.
Vijayan questioned how such a film could be allowed to screen while, according to him, another film titled ‘Beef’ had been denied permission at a film festival. “How are such poisonous works, made to create division and hatred in society, being permitted for screening?” he asked. He said this pointed to what he described as “double standards”.
Targeting the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and other right-wing groups, the chief minister alleged that organisations linked to the Sangh Parivar had promoted what he called a fabricated story presented in the earlier film. He claimed that “false propaganda” was being spread, and even consensual interfaith marriages were being projected as cases of forced religious conversion.
“Some forces look at Kerala as if it is an enemy,” Vijayan said. “This is a state where communal riots are rare and where different communities have lived with mutual respect. Attempts are being made to damage that peace.”
He added, “We must collectively reject efforts to present Kerala, a state known for religious harmony, as a hub of terrorism before the world.” He urged citizens to defend secular values and resist what he described as attempts to weaken the constitutional foundations of the country.
Supporters of the state government argue that such films risk creating suspicion towards Muslims and harming communal relations. A senior leader from the ruling Left Democratic Front, speaking on condition of anonymity, said, “Creative freedom is important, but it should not be misused to target a community or to paint an entire state in a negative light.”
There has been no detailed response yet from the film’s producers regarding the chief minister’s latest remarks. The teaser, however, maintains that the story is based on true incidents and aims to raise awareness.
The debate has once again brought into focus the balance between freedom of expression and social responsibility. In Kerala, where Muslims form a significant part of the population and have long contributed to the state’s social and economic life, many fear that controversial portrayals could deepen mistrust.
As the release date approaches, the state government has indicated that it will closely monitor developments. For now, the row has sharpened political lines, with the chief minister standing firm in his view that Kerala’s image and communal harmony must be protected.

