The administration says the structure stood on government hospital land; minority leaders express alarm and call for fair and equal application of the law
PATNA/SITAMARHI — A mosque structure in Bihar’s Sitamarhi district was partly demolished by the local administration on Wednesday during an anti-encroachment drive, prompting concern among members of the Muslim community and sharp reactions from opposition parties.
The action took place in Bairgania market area, where officials used bulldozers to remove what they described as unauthorised construction on government land. The administration claimed that parts of the mosque complex had been built illegally on land meant for a government hospital.
Bairgania Circle Officer Ranjit Kumar said the demolition followed prior notices.
He stated, “Certain portions within the mosque premises, including a bathroom and related structures, had been constructed on government hospital land. A notice was issued nearly a year ago asking for the encroachment to be removed. As there was no compliance, action was taken as per instructions from the District Magistrate.”
Sitamarhi District Magistrate Richa Pandey reportedly directed the removal after the deadline had passed.
Officials maintain that the drive was part of a wider anti-encroachment campaign and not targeted at any particular community.
An officer associated with the operation said, “This was a routine administrative action. The structure was found to be on government land. The same rules apply to everyone.”
However, members of the Muslim community have expressed anxiety over the demolition. Locals say the mosque had existed for years and that the action has caused distress.
A community representative in Sitamarhi said, “If there was an issue about land, it should have been resolved through dialogue and proper legal process. Demolishing a religious structure creates fear among people.”
Another resident said, “We are worried that similar action may now be taken against other mosques, madrasas and graveyards. The government must assure us that there will be no discrimination.”
Several local leaders have urged the administration to clarify whether alternative arrangements or legal remedies were offered before demolition.
Opposition parties have criticised the action and alleged that it reflects a broader pattern seen in several BJP-ruled states.
A state-level opposition leader said, “We have seen bulldozer action in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Assam and Uttarakhand. Now Bihar seems to be following the same model. Religious places must not become targets of political messaging.”
Human rights groups have also raised questions in past cases across different states, arguing that demolitions must strictly follow due process and not appear selective.
In recent years, demolition drives have taken place in several BJP-ruled states under the banner of anti-encroachment campaigns or action following communal unrest.
In Uttar Pradesh, reports indicate that hundreds of structures, including madrasas, shrines and other properties linked to Muslims, have been sealed or demolished since 2022. Officials in those cases have said the action was taken against illegal construction.
In Uttarakhand, large-scale demolitions of religious sites, mainly shrines and madrasas, have also been reported under land law enforcement drives.
In Gujarat’s Kutch region, local reports mentioned the demolition of madrasas and shops allegedly built on government land.
In Madhya Pradesh, parts of mosque structures were damaged in some districts, particularly after incidents of communal tension in 2022. State authorities described those actions as lawful enforcement measures.
In Assam, demolition drives since 2022 have led to the removal of madrasas and houses in certain areas. Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has publicly defended the actions as necessary administrative steps.
Critics argue that the pattern has created a perception of selective targeting, while state governments maintain that the actions are legal and aimed at removing encroachments. In 2024, the Supreme Court issued guidelines concerning what has been described in some petitions as “punitive demolitions”. The court emphasised that demolition of property must follow proper legal procedure and not be carried out as an immediate punishment.
In earlier hearings, the court had observed that the rule of law must prevail and that authorities must act within constitutional limits.
Legal experts say that any demolition involving religious structures requires particular care, transparency and adherence to established procedures.
Local Muslim leaders in Sitamarhi have called on the Bihar government to provide clear assurances.
One cleric said, “If the structure was illegal, the law should take its course. But the law must be equal. We want written assurance that no community will be singled out.”
Civil society groups have urged the administration to publish full details of notices, land records and procedural steps taken before the demolition.
For now, tension in the area remains under control, with police deployed as a precaution.
Many residents say the larger issue is trust.
A shopkeeper in Bairgania said, “People want fairness. If any building is illegal, remove it. But do it in a way that does not make one community feel targeted.”
The Bihar government has not yet announced whether further demolitions are planned in Sitamarhi or elsewhere in the state.

