Uttarakhand: Mazar Near Rudki Temple Razed Citing Illegality, Security Threat

Date:


Authorities say the structure in Salempur Rajputana was illegal; the move comes amid an ongoing state campaign against encroachments on religious sites

HARIDWAR – The district administration in Uttarakhand’s Haridwar demolished a mazar (a tomb or shrine) located near a temple in the Salempur Rajputana area of Rudki on Wednesday. Officials stated the action was taken because the structure was illegally built on public land and was seen as a threat to the sanctity and security of the adjacent temple.

The demolition was carried out with a heavy police presence after the expiry of a notice period. Authorities stated that they had pasted a notice at the site about two weeks ago, giving concerned parties time to present their case or relevant documents. “No satisfactory response or documentation was presented even after about a month, leading to the action,” a district administration official said.

The move is part of a wider state campaign against what it terms illegal encroachments. The Uttarakhand government claims over 500 illegal mazars have been removed across the state so far. However, some Muslim community leaders have previously argued that several demolished sites held historical or traditional significance.

Locals in Salempur Rajputana had reportedly petitioned the administration multiple times, complaining that the structure obstructed pathways and compromised the temple’s environment. “This illegal structure was not only causing difficulty for passers-by but was also not right for the temple’s sanctity and security,” a resident, who did not wish to be named, told reporters.

The demolition proceeded without any reported protest from the Muslim community, and no immediate statement was issued by local Muslim representatives in its aftermath.

Separately, the right-wing group Devbhoomi Kali Sena has asserted its involvement in such actions. Its president, Bhupesh Joshi, stated, “We will continue to remove mazars built illegally on government land. If anyone wants to build a mausoleum, they should do so on their own land. No mazar should be visible on government land.”

The incident highlights the ongoing tensions and administrative actions concerning religious structures and land use in the state. The Uttarakhand administration maintains its actions are strictly about enforcing the rule of law and removing encroachments.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Palestinian Child Killed in Israeli Attack in Northern Gaza

GAZA CITY --- A Palestinian child was killed in...

Bengal SIR: Trinamool Govt Files FIR Against 2 EROs & AEROs, Sends Compliance Report to ECI

KOLKATA —  The West Bengal government has completed the...

Sourav Ganguly Hopes Imran Khan Gets ‘Right Treatment’ Amid Health Concerns

KOLKATA — Expressing concern over Imran Khan's reported health...

Israel’s Aggression Continues Unabated in the Occupied West Bank

As part of its expansionist policy, Israel continues to...